Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Cyrus

I'll be heading out to get a mouthful of the movie screener for Cyrus tonight. Hope to spew it all over the next blog post. Can they go wrong with this all star comedy threesome? I'll be watching Marissa Tomei's performance particularly. Rar.

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/cyrus/


Update Review:
Cyrus blew me away with exactly the kind of movie I've always wanted. An uncompromising dark comedy intent on making me uncomfortable to the point of hilarity. Jonah Hill works his magic with some inspiring comedic fencing off of John C. Reilly. So, why wasn't I happy? Why wasn't I left wanting a 1000 more movies like this? Did Marisa Tomei tank the film? God no! Blasphemy.
I'm not sure, but I think they were just not funny enough when I expected something entirely different. The drama actually took an equal partnership with the shenanigans and on their own they work well, but together it seemed short. I can only be that much more impressed with the actors and directors that have made the darkest of comedies work seamlessly. This movie has so many things going for it that it has to get great reviews but something was missing and because of that, I won't likely see it again.
I've got one last theory. Somewhere in the middle of filming, everyone realized that this movie was no joke, that they had actors, not comedians, and the real edgy crazy neurotic thing would be to drop the laughs all together and make a real film that hit home about something thats really disturbing. I like that. Maybe I will see it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment